Google
 

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Jorge Lorenzo: 'King of the world'

Jorge Lorenzo: 'King of the world'
Jorge Lorenzo won the 2010 MotoGP World Championship with a third place finish at Sepang in Malaysia on Sunday.

The 23-year-old clinched his first premier-class title in his third season and with three races still to go.

Lorenzo has been something of a last man standing, with injuries ending the 2010 title hopes of team-mate Valentino Rossi (a broken leg at round four) and then Dani Pedrosa (a broken collarbone last weekend in Motegi).

But Lorenzo also raced injured, after fracturing his hand in mid-February, and was leading both Rossi and Pedrosa in the championship at the time of their respective accidents.

Lorenzo has won seven of the 15 races, compared with four for Pedrosa and two for Rossi, been on the podium 13 times and is the only rider to finish every single race.

"This is my first title in the premier category and my dream has come true!" said Lorenzo, who is Spain's second ever 500cc/MotoGP champion, after Alex Criville in 1999.

"This is really the maximum a motorcycle rider can achieve in his career so we have to celebrate and enjoy these hours, minutes and seconds like it's the end of the world.

"You imagine this moment in your head your whole life but when it comes you don't know how to act or what to say. I am trying to be relaxed, to speak clearly and not say anything crazy!

"I'm so tired right now; I just need to be alone in a room for a few minutes, just thinking about what I've done!

"Motorcycling is my passion and my job but it's also a game, and this is what I was saying when I held up the sign saying 'game over.' Today it's over for this season because I am the World Champion!

"I don't think about the future now, I just want to celebrate my first MotoGP title and I can't think beyond this night. The future will be tough and exciting, with giants for my rivals, but we don't need to think about that now, we can just enjoy the moment.

"We have come such a long way; some things happen very slowly in your career and some very fast.

"When I started in the World Championship I was almost last in the 125 class but in only eight years I have become MotoGP World Champion. It's incredible how life can change.

Related Articles



0 komentar: