Google
 

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Lorenzo marks milestone MotoGP race with another podium

Lorenzo marks milestone MotoGP race with another podium

Lorenzo marks milestone MotoGP race with another podium

Sunday, 17 October 2010

The Fiat Yamaha rider and 2010 World Champion finished second in the Iveco Australia Grand Prix in his 50th premier class race.

Lorenzo enjoys Phillip Island result

Lorenzo enjoys Phillip Island result

Jorge Lorenzo celebrated his 50th race in the premier class with a 32nd podium in the elite category on Sunday, finishing second in the Iveco Australian Grand Prix at Phillip Island.

The Fiat Yamaha rider’s season has already been a huge success after he claimed the 2010 title last weekend in Malaysia, and his result in Australia combined with team-mate Valentino Rossi’s third place in the race secured the factory outfit the Team Championship as well.

The 23 year-old said: “Today we won the Teams' Title and this shows what a great season it has been for us all, with everyone working at the maximum.”

Unable to match race winner Casey Stoner’s pace Lorenzo finished comfortably ahead of team-mate Rossi by a margin of almost ten seconds, in his 14th podium finish of the year.

"We knew Casey would be hard to beat today! I tried my best, riding as hard as I could at the start and occasionally it seemed like I was closing a little bit, but then on the next lap Casey would extend his lead again by a few tenths,” said Lorenzo. “I kept trying but I didn't have much hope and half way through I decided it was better not to take risks.”

He continued: “I really enjoyed riding here and sliding a bit on my M1, it was fun but this was Casey's race today. It was good to be on the podium and now we are heading back (to Europe) and I have my first chance to go home to Mallorca as World Champion and to celebrate with my friends and family.”

With two rounds remaining Lorenzo could still achieve the highest number of points in a single season in the MotoGP class, with a potential total of 383 to be gained and Rossi’s 2008 record standing at 373.

Related Articles



0 komentar: